This is a perfect summer dish when you have guests coming to your home unexpectedly an hour before dinner time! It takes about 40 minutes from the kitchen to the dinner table and it tastes delicious.
- Use sake and add a tsp of sugar if you can’t find mirin
- Add fresh chilli pepper (the small variety) for extra heat
- Adding extra thickening agent is not necessary. The flour in the oil can do the job
prep time – 15 mins
cook time – 20 mins
total time – 35 mins
recipe type: main meals
makes: 2 servings
• 1 tsp fish sauce
• 2 tsp sesame oil
• 1/2 fresh lime cut to thin slices
• 1/4 cup Mirin
• 1/2 cup white vinegar
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 tsp sesame seeds
• 2x dry hot pepper (optional)
• 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• dash of Kosher salt
• dash of black pepper
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
• 4 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
• 1/2 red pepper cut to small cube
• 1/4 cup cilantro – chopped
• 2 Tbsp green onions, finely sliced on a diagonal
• 1/4 cup carrot – Julienne
1. Whisk together the fish sauce, mirin, vinegar, sugar and water in a cup and crushed red pepper then set aside.
2. Rinse the chicken breasts under cool water and pat them dry with a paper towel. Trim the breasts, season with kosher salt and black pepper, dredge each in sifted flour then shake off any excess.
3. Set a skillet over medium heat and add vegetable oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and brown each breast for about 2 minutes on each side till slightly golden brown. When the breasts are lightly browned, remove them from the skillet onto a plate. Lightly cover the chicken with aluminum foil and set aside. The breasts will be slightly under-cooked at this point, but they’ll finish cooking in the sauce.
4. Add the vinegar, mirin, fish sauce and sugar mixture to the remaining oil in the skillet and cook till boiling. Add lime slices and scraping up any bits left stuck to the bottom of the pan.
5. Place the chicken breasts back into the skillet and cook them in the sauce 5 minutes, (rule of thumb – one inch for five minutes) cover with a lid. Remove the lid after five minutes . Take chicken out from the pan and set aside ready for cutting. Allow the sauce to reduced by half.
6. Once the sauce has reduced and the chicken has cooked through, cut chicken to smaller pieces and set to a platter, pour the remaining glaze over it. Serve with plain Jasmine rice. Dinner is served!